Prevention services include a wide range of evidence-based programs, presentations and training available to schools, parents, coalitions, businesses and communities. You may contact either of our regional offices to inquire about prevention services in your area.
Prelude Behavioral Services works to help every community decrease high risk and addictive behaviors by implementing effective, evidence-based prevention strategies. Our prevention team members network with other social services agencies, community coalitions, local schools, parents and businesses to promote healthy life choices. Prevention services are provided in Cedar, Iowa, Johnson, Washington and Polk Counties.
Prelude collaborates with, and provides support to, community coalitions in Cedar, Iowa, Johnson, and Washington counties. Coalitions bring together diverse groups and sectors of the community to work toward a common goal of building safe, healthy communities. They engage in activities such as:
- Spearheading initiatives to change state and local policies
- Increasing community awareness of concerned issues
- Developing positive activities for youth
- Reducing youth access to gambling, alcohol, tobacco and other drugs
Parent / Family Education
Research shows that parents are the number one influence on their children’ decisions when it comes to making risky decisions like gambling, using alcohol, tobacco and other drugs. Prelude provides a wide range of prevention services to educate parents about effective strategies they can use to prevent substance abuse and gambling problems from occurring in their families. Programs include Strengthening Families Program, Families and Schools Together (FAST), Love and Logic, as well as one-time presentations given to parent groups upon request.
Prelude also provides support for youth who have a family member with a gambling problem by helping them identify and understand their parent’s gambling behaviors and reducing the risk for them developing a problem later in life. The curriculum “Hey-What About Me?” is used in either individual or group sessions.
Prevention program are provided to civic and faith organizations, parent teacher organizations, childcare and after school centers, family resource centers, or any other interested parent group in the community.
Interested parties can contact our prevention manager at 319-351-4357 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
EIS is a six-hour, research-based program provided by Prelude for youth who have received a drug or alcohol charge, have been found in violation of their school’s good conduct policy or have experienced another substance use incident and would benefit from additional education. In EIS, you learn:
- How to make choices that protect the things they value
- How an individual’s biology, along with social and psychological influences, interact with personal choices to determine outcomes
- How to prevent health and impairment problems
- What research says is low-risk use for drug and alcohol
- How to identify one’s personal level of risk for developing problems with drugs and alcohol
- How to develop individualized low-risk guidelines to prevent future problems with drugs and alcohol
The cost of the EIS program is $40.
Location: EIS is offered at our Iowa City and Washington offices.
To register for EIS: Call 319-351-4357
Prelude’s staff is available to facilitate a variety of evidence-based prevention curriculum or one-time presentations in schools to students of all ages. Programs for students are designed to increase participant’s knowledge about the risk of gambling and substance use and to teach skills needed to:
- Make healthy decisions
- Communicate effectively
- Identify and achieve goals
- Develop positive friendships
- Resist pressures to gamble or use alcohol, tobacco and other drugs
Prelude’s prevention team is also available to provide technical assistance and support to student-led groups by helping to crate school-wide prevention and awareness campaigns and coordinating activities for Red Ribbon Week and Problem Gambling Awareness Week.
For Faculty and Staff
Presentations and consultations on topics related to youth gambling and the abuse of alcohol, tobacco and other drugs are available for faculty, staff, and administration. Examples of presentation topics include:
- Signs and symptoms of student substance abuse and problem gambling
- How to identify and refer students who need help
- Data on trends in youth substance use and problem gambling
- Development of effective policies to reduce risky behavior by students
Prelude has a substance use counselor at Tate High School in Iowa City. On-site prevention specialists provide prevention education, support, consultation, and referral services to students, faculty, staff, and parents at the school they serve.
Call our prevention manager at 319-351-4357 or email email@example.com
Prevention services are offered through both regional locations.
Polk, Jasper, Marion, Dallas, Poweshiek, Warren, Keokuk, Mahaska, Iowa, Johnson and Washington counties:
- Problem Gambling education and prevention.
Johnson and Washington Counties:
- Parent and Family Education
- Community Coalitions
- Early Intervention Services (EIS)
- School-Based Services